As President of Willamette University from 1980 - 1997, Jerry E. Hudson established the Willamette University Debate Union as one of the Premier Debating Societies in the United States. Upon his retirement in 1997, the Willamette University High School Debate Tournament was renamed in his honor.
Entry Deadline: Tuesday, October 16, 5pm
Download the Invitation and Tournament Materials
Why is the Jerry Hudson Oregon's Favorite Tournament
Each and every year, students and coaches tell us that the Hudson is their favorite tournament of the year. Why?
- The Hudson is the first comprehensive speech and debate tournament offered in the State of Oregon in the beginning of the school year.
- The Hudson tournament attracts the top high schools from the State of Oregon and also from surrounding states.
- The Hudson offers competition in 3 styles of debate in novice, junior and senior divisions, as well as 11 kinds of individual speech events, in junior and senior.
- Each student is allowed to enter 1 style of debate and up to 2 individual speech events; one in pattern A and another in pattern B. A student cannot enter two individual speech events in the same pattern.
- The Hudson tournament is the most innovative in the Pacific Northwest.
- The Hudson tournament was the first to offer parliamentary debate in the Pacific Northwest.
- The 2018 Hudson will offer training in Worlds-Style Debate if students are interested. Worlds-Style debate is becoming more and more popular in American Colleges and Universities.
- The Hudson tournament regularly offers the opportunity for high school students to meet with college admission professionals to discuss the process of applying to U.S., colleges and universities.
Through the efforts of the Director of the Speech and Debate Center at East China University of Science and Technology in Shanghai, we are extending an invitation to the Jerry Hudson tournament to a group of High School students in Shanghai. In the event that Chinese, or any other international students wish to register, they should communicate directly with Gao Pan: firstname.lastname@example.org or they can write to me directly at email@example.com.