The Learning by Creating steering committee appreciates the significant work that goes into mentoring student grant applications. This information sheet is meant to make explicit the role of faculty mentor of a student Learning by Creating Creative Summer Grant.
Mentoring students in the proposal process:
- Provide guidance/feedback to student proposer(s) as needed to help them craft a strong project narrative, timeline and budget.
- Complete the mentor recommendation form for each proposed project, one per student for collaborative projects.
Mentoring proposals that are funded:
- Attend an introductory gathering in late spring 2017
- Meet regularly with mentee(s) during the summer 8-week session to guide their work (generally every other week, sometimes more or less or from a distance as appropriate to the project)
- Attend a half-day “open studio” residency event hosted by mentee(s) during the summer, date to be established before the summer session begins
- Attendance at additional residency events is optional
- Attend fall and spring public presentations by students if possible
- Complete payment paperwork as requested
Faculty members may oversee up to two LxC projects. Mentorship participation in LxC for the summer comes with a $2,000 stipend for each project (not each student) overseen.