Thank you for agreeing to serve as a moderator for this year’s SSRD. The committee appreciates your commitment to our students and to the work they present.
Before SSRDContact the students in your panel.
- Discuss with them the format of the session and the time limits for each presentation.
- Encourage students to do a practice run of their presentation to ensure their comfort with the audio/visual set-up in the room. Neither you nor the students need to reserve equipment for SSRD. If a student is uncomfortable using the equipment requested on their application, however, they should make an appointment with WITS (x6004) for a training session. Please note that WITS training and support will not be available on the day of the event.
- Tell the students when and where the presentations will be held. The program information is posted online.
How SSRD Panels Are Organized
- SSRD has five presentation sessions. Each session is either 80 minutes (four presentations) or 60 minutes (three presentations). Unless otherwise noted in the schedule, all presentations are 15 minutes each, with 5 minutes between presentations for questions and transitions between speakers.
- You are not responsible for arranging equipment for students. Equipment will be available and set up in the rooms on the day of SSRD. If you feel you need training or a refresher on the use of computer/data projectors, contact WITS (x6004) to arrange training prior to the day of SSRD. WITS training will not be available on the day of the event. Students are responsible to arrange their own training (not equipment) in the same manner.
The Day of SSRD
- As moderator, you are responsible for setting up the presentation area, introducing the presenters, moderating the discussion following the presentations, and keeping the session on time.
- Arrive at your room at least 15 minutes prior to the session start time.
- Begin the session by introducing yourself and the name of the session.
- Assist each presenter with set-up (as needed), and introduce each student along with the full title of their presentation.
- Encourage audience members to engage with presenters by asking questions and providing thoughtful feedback.
- Please fill out and return the evaluation form you are given. This asks for your feedback on your SSRD experience. The evaluation is an invaluable tool for the SSRD Committee in shaping future SSRD programs, so we strongly encourage you to complete it.
- Presenters are strongly encouraged to invite family, friends, and mentors to attend SSRD. Please welcome all visitors.