Rachel Kinsman Steck joins the Theatre Department as Lighting Designer, and Production Supervisor from Imago Maske Ensemble where they held the position of production manager/lighting director. Previously, they could be found working as a lighting designer, production manager, and electrician for Diablo Ballet, California Shakespeare Theatre, Berkeley Repertory Theatre, Smuins Ballet/SF, Theater of Yugen, Oregon Contemporary Theatre, Portland Playhouse, CoHo Productions, the Berkeley Opera, Woman's Will, the Greater Buffalo Opera Company, Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center, HAG Theatre, Litelab Corporation, and the New Jersey Shakespeare Theatre.
In addition, Rachel is also a member of the Women's and Gender Studies Program where they teach feminist theory, feminist theory in performance, queer theory, and masculinities. Rachel's areas of interest include: queer theory & performance, politics & performance, spectatorship & citizenship, sustainability & theatre practices, and Lighting design history & practice.
Rachel is a certified specialist in Diversity and Inclusion by Cornell University, August 2020.
- Ph.D in Dramatic Arts, University of Oregon
- Master of Arts in Humanities, Women and Gender Studies, Theatre, and Film Studies, State University of New York at Buffalo
- BA in Arts & Performance, Wells College
- Certificate in Diversity & Inclusion, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY. August 2020.
Productions and Performances
Willamette University Theatre
- Production Supervisor, Moving Forward • Screendance. 2021.
- Production Supervisor, Sound & Projections Designer, A Bright New Boise. 2021.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, and Production Supervisor, The Memo. 2020.
More Willamette productions
- Production Supervisor, Revolt. She Said. Revolt Again., by Alice Birch. 2020.
- Production Supervisor, Fall Dance Concert, Artistic Direction by Faith Morrision. 2019.
- Production Supervisor, In Triplicate, written & performed by guest artist Matt Romein. 2019.
- Sound Designer & Production Supervisor, Men On Boats, by Jaclyn Backhaus. 2019.
- Production Supervisor, Letters from Home, written & performed by guest artist Kalean Ung. 2018.
- Lighting Designer & Production Supervisor, Future Voices dance concert, Artistic Direction by Michele Ainza. 2018.
- Lighting Designer, Sound Designer & Production Supervisor, Dead City, by Sheila Callaghan. 2018.
- Lighting Designer, Wings of Fire (World Premiere), by Haley Green & Austin Green. 2018.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Burn This, by Lanford Wilson. 2018.
- Lighting Designer, Macbeth by William Shakespeare. 2016.
- Lighting Designer, Lear’s Daughters, by Women’s Theatre Group & Elaine Feinstein, 2016.
- Lighting Designer, Perception/Reality: A Dance Concert. 2016.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, by Tom Stoppard. 2016
- Lighting Designer, Vincent in Brixton, by Nicholas Wright. 2016.
- Lighting Designer, The Feathered Mantle / The Weaver and The Dress, by Unknown / Judy Halebsky. 2016.
- Sound & Projections Designer, bobrauschenbergamerica, by Charles Mee. 2015
Regional and Local Theatre, Other Performances
- Sound Engineer & Co-Host, "Building Play," podcast series dedicated to the art and craft of building new plays. Theatre 33, Salem, OR. Season 1, 2020.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, A Curiously Wonderful Christmas (world premiere), Theatre 33. 2019.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Midsummer. The Verona Studio, February 2020
More regional and local productions
- Lighting Designer, Avenue Q, by Robert Lopez, Jeff Marx, and Jeff Whitty. Enlightened Theatrics, Salem, OR. 2019.
- Sound Designer, Burst, by Rachel Bublitz. Theatre 33. 2019.
- Lighting Designer, Bethany Sees the Stars, by Emily Golden. Theatre 33, 2019.
- Lighting Designer & Sound Designer, The Harder Courage, by Leslie Slape. Theatre 33. 2018.
- Touring Consultant, Letters from Home. written & performed by Kalean Ung. 2018.
- Sound Designer, Amanda Transcending, by Connie Bennett. Theatre 33, Salem, Oregon. 2018.
- Sound Designer, Martine Out of Time, by Nora Douglass. Theatre 33, 2018.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Forgiveness Tree, by Kathleen Tomko. Theatre 33, 2018.
- Lighting Designer, Lost Dog, by Deb Vaughn. Theatre 33, 2018.
- Lighting Designer, Jesus Christ Superstar, by Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Webber. Performance Riverside, California, 2018.
- Sound Designer, Santa’s Bag, by Elisabeth Rothan & Allison Saucy. Theatre 33, 2017.
- Lighting Designer, Tenders of the Feet, by Ciji Guerin & Hal Logan. Theatre 33, 2017.
- Sound Designer, Shorn, by Nora Douglass. Theatre 33, 2017.
- Lighting Designer, 36 Perfectly Appropriate Mealtime Conversations, by Brianna Barrett. Theatre 33, 2017.
- Lighting Designer, Playhouse Creatures, by April de Angelis. CoHo Productions, Portland, Oregon, 2016.
- Touring and Production Consultant, The Gun Show, by E. M. Lewis. CoHo Productions, 2016.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Christmas Carol, a 1940’s Radio Show, adapted by Thomas Nabhan from the short story by Charles Dickens. Theatre 33, 2016.
- Sound, Projections & Lighting Designer, Maresfield Gardens, by Susan Coromel. Theatre 33, 2016.
- Sound Designer, Maresfield Gardens. Spring Works Festival. Stratford, Ontario, 2016.
- Sound & Lighting Designer, Production/ Touring Consultant, Blonde Poison, by Gail Louw. Play On! Productions, Orlando Fringe Festival, Florida, 2016.
- Lighting Designer, Apple Season, by E. M. Lewis. Theatre 33, 2016.
- Lighting Designer, A Squirrel Boy, A Robot Cat, But Also Parent, by Jonathan Graham. Theatre 33, 2016.
- Lighting Designer, Sisters Folk Festival, Sisters, Oregon, 2015.
- Lighting Designer & Production/Touring Consultant, My Case is Altered: Tales of a 21st Century Roaring Girl, devised by Twenty-First Century Chorus. Urbana, Illinois, 2015.