Spring 2022 brings a series of activities that will further advance the university’s Strategic Planning process.
First, Willamette will continue its Phase II conversations in January and February. These conversations gather faculty, staff and students from across the university in facilitated breakout discussions to learn about one another and to reflect upon the contextual information shared during Phase I. Through these Phase II conversations, campus community members will discuss how we might work across our traditional college and programmatic boundaries to create a more integrated, innovative university for our students — ultimately helping to produce a series of core goals for Willamette University’s Strategic Plan.
Dates and locations for our Spring 2022 Sessions are as follows:
- Monday, Jan. 24 from 12:30-2 p.m. (Mediatheque)
- Tuesday, Jan. 25 from 4-5:30 p.m. (Cat Cavern)
- Tuesday, Jan. 11 from 4-5:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 2 from 12-1 p.m.
Second, Provost Long has begun to convene a group of campus representatives who will review notes gathered during the Phase I and Phase II conversations and help distill a set of core themes that will form the primary goals or pillars of the university's Strategic Plan. This group represents Willamette’s various colleges and administrative units and comprises the following individuals:
- Ineda Pearl Adesanya, University Chaplain and Director of Spiritual and Religious Life
- Bill Forster, Associate Professor of Strategic Management (AGSM)
- David Friedman, Associate Dean of Strategic Initiatives, Professor of Law (WUCL)
- Colby Lewis, Student, Willamette University College of Law Class of 2024
- Isaac Parker ’02, MAT ’05, Head Football Coach
- Jason Redcedar, Director of Web Applications
- Sally Schoolmaster, Associate Professor of Foundation and Photography (PNCA)
- Bill Smaldone, E. Jerry Whipple Professor of History (CAS)
- Emilio Solano ’09, Executive Director of Willamette Academy
This group will gather in January and February 2022 to distill and prepare summaries on these core themes, which will be shared with the campus community and presented to the Board of Trustees at their Feb. 2022 meeting. Shaped by feedback from the community and the Board, these thematic summaries will guide Phase III of the Strategic Planning process, which will gather cross-university working groups to develop the specific objectives, tactics, and measurable outcomes that will comprise Willamette’s Strategic Plan.
You can visit the Strategic Planning website for summaries of the Phase I Compass Conversations, more information about the Strategic Planning process, prior Strategic Planning documents and other resources and data to guide your thinking.