- Do I have to have a dining plan?
- When do I sign up for a dining plan?
- If I want to change my dining plan, when and how do I change it?
- What should I do if I have medical or dietary restrictions?
- Are Dining Flex Dollars considered actual money?
- Do I get a cash refund if I have Dining Flex Dollars left over?
- What happens to my Dining Flex Dollars at the end of each semester?
- How can I check my Dining Flex Dollars balance?
- If I run out of Dining Flex Dollars what can I do?
- Can you give me an example of how the meals work?
- What happens if I miss a meal? Do I get compensated for that missed meal?
- Can I purchase a Willamette Dining Plan if I live in a campus apartment or off campus?
1. Do I have to have a dining plan?
All students living in residence halls are required to participate in the Willamette Dining Plan program. Students living in campus apartments or off campus may purchase any of the Willamette Dining Plans or Commuter Plans by contacting the Housing office to sign up.
2. When do I sign up for a dining plan?
New students choose a dining plan in their housing application. Housing and dining plan information is distributed to newly admitted and deposited students in late May. Current students returning in the next academic year select a dining plan during the Housing Selection process in March.
3. If I want to change my dining plan, when and how do I change it?
Dining plan changes are accepted during the first week of Fall and Spring Semester. Submit your dining plan change request through your WU Housing portal, using your Willamette credentials to log in. The Dining tab is located on the top right side of the page. No dining plan changes are accepted after the first week of classes each semester.
4. What should I do if I have medical or dietary restrictions?
If you have a medical need, make an appointment with the Accessible Education Services and a Bon Appetit manager to learn about the available options.
Students looking to be exempt from meal plans due to a religious need should contact the office of Residence Life and Housing at email@example.com. The Residence Life and Housing staff will work with each student to try to find a remedy that works for them.
5. Are Dining Flex Dollars considered actual money?
Flex dollars are not real money. It is a method of assigning values for the different dining plan options.
6. Do I get a cash refund if I have Dining Flex Dollars left over?
No, there is no compensation for left over Flex Dollars.
7. What happens to my Dining Flex Dollars at the end of each semester?
Flex dollars carry over from Fall to Spring semester for students who remain on the Willamette Dining Plan.
Students who move off the Willamette Dining Plan (e.g. university-owned apartment, off-campus, semester abroad program or graduation at semester) receive no carry-over credit or refund.
Flex dollars remaining at the completion of Spring semester are non-refundable. Also, no credit is issued for meals not taken.
8. How can I check my Dining Flex Dollars balance?
Your balance is listed on the register each time you make a purchase or you can check your balance online through your Compass Card.
9. If I run out of Dining Flex Dollars what can I do?
You can purchase Compass Cash. When Compass Cash is spent at Goudy Commons, Blitz Market or Rick’s Cafe, you receive a 10% discount. Compass Cash can also be used at several other locations on campus (e.g., The Willamette Store, Bistro, vending and laundry machines). There are many ways you can add funds to your Compass Card. Some of them include: cash-to-card machines located around campus, going to the Campus Card office in the Service Center, or on the Compass Card website. Funds added to your Compass Card account are not refundable except upon graduation, withdrawal or termination from the University.
10. Can you give me an example of how the meals work?
You can pick between 19, 14 or 10 meals per week. When you enter Goudy, you swipe your campus card and you are then able to enter the cafe and pick from the offerings. It is a ‘what you care to eat’ model so if you are very hungry that meal period you can go to multiple stations or if you are looking at just wanting a piece of fruit and cookie, you have that option as well.
11. What happens if I miss a meal? Do I get compensated for that missed meal?
No, there is no compensation for missed meals. However, we know students can get over-scheduled with practices, exams, and other things! If you know you can't make it to a meal, you can request a replacement boxed meal at no additional cost. Contact Bon Appetit with 24-hours advance notice with your request at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-370-6511.
12. Can I purchase a Willamette Dining Plan if I live in a campus apartment or off campus?
Yes. Students living in campus apartments or off campus may purchase any of the Willamette Dining Plans or Commuter plans by contacting the Housing office.
If you would like to eat on campus without purchasing a Dining Plan, you can add Compass Cash to your Compass Card (student ID card) at the Service Center, any of the cash-to-card machines throughout campus or online at willamette.edu/compasscard/cardoffice.