The safety and health of Willamette University staff and faculty is our foremost business consideration. Willamette University shall comply with all applicable OR-OSHA workplace safety and health requirements and maintain occupational safety and health standards that equal or exceed the best practices in the industry.
Willamette University shall establish a safety committee, consisting of an appropriate representation of faculty, administrative, and classified staff whose responsibility will be identifying hazards and unsafe work practices, removing obstacles to accident prevention, and helping evaluate the company's effort to achieve an accident-and-injury-free workplace.
Willamette University pledges to do the following:
- Strive to achieve the goal of zero accidents and injuries.
- Provide mechanical and physical safeguards wherever they are necessary.
- Conduct routine safety and health inspections to find and eliminate unsafe working conditions, control health hazards, and comply with all applicable OR-OSHA safety and health requirements.
- Train all employees in safe work practices and procedures.
- Provide employees with necessary personal protective equipment and train them to use and care for it properly.
- Enforce company safety and health rules and require employees to follow the rules as a condition of employment.
- Investigate accidents to determine the cause and prevent similar accidents.
Willamette University recognizes that all employees share responsibility for a safe and healthful workplace.
- Administration is accountable for preventing workplace injuries and illnesses. Administration will consider all employee suggestions for achieving a safer, healthier workplace. Administration also will be informed about workplace safety-and-health hazards and regularly review the company's safety and health program.
- Supervisors are responsible for supervising and training workers in safe work practices.
- Supervisors must enforce company rules and ensure that employees follow safe practices during their work.
- Employees are expected to participate in safety and health program activities including, immediately reporting hazards, unsafe work practices, and accidents to supervisors or a safety committee representative, wearing required personal protective equipment, and, participating in and supporting safety committee activities.
Phone Numbers for Reporting Unsafe Conditions:
- Rich Dennis: ext. 6907
- Human Resources: ext. 6210
- Facilities Services: ext. 6135