As a residential campus, Willamette is open for business every day of the academic year, except for recognized holidays and other periods of official closure. From time to time, however, weather conditions are sufficiently extreme or hazardous such that operating the university would jeopardize the life safety of our students, faculty and staff. When this happens, the university will respond in one of two ways:
- Willamette will open late or close early, based on weather conditions; or
- Willamette will close completely, canceling all classes and events and providing only essential services.
If a decision is made to close or delay the opening of campus, the decision will be made by 6 a.m. each weekday. This information will be available in the following ways:
1) Call the University switchboard for a recorded message at 503-370-6300. (Please do not call Campus Safety for this information).
2) Watch Salem area TV news stations and read the "crawl" message on the bottom of the screen.
3) Go to the Willamette University web page. An update will be posted in the upper left corner of the University's homepage: willamette.edu
4) An all campus email will be sent out.
If you are unsure whether it is prudent to travel in slippery conditions, you should use your personal judgment and make the right decision for yourself regarding coming to work or attending classes. If employees are unable to report to work because of the weather, they should contact their supervisor.