Congress has passed three different spending bills that authorize payments to institutions of higher education and their students to partially offset the financial impact of COVID-19. The following table summarizes the funds awarded to Willamette University under each of these three programs:
|Student Relief||Institution Relief||SIP Funds||Totals|
|HEERF I: CARES Act||754,617||754,617||76,307||1,585,541|
|HEERF II: CRRSAA||754,617||1,368,699||93,625||2,216,941|
|HEERF III: ARPA||1,891,285||1,891,284||174,770||3,957,339|
HEERF I: CARES Act
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act was enacted on March 27, 2020.
- On April 10, 2020 Willamette University signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement and the assurance that the institution has used, or intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Willamette University received $1,509,234 in Section 18004(a)(1) funds, $754,617 (50%) pursuant to the institution’s Certification and Agreement [for] Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
- As of June 30, 2021, $1,305,417 in Emergency Financial Aid Grants have been distributed to students; $754,617 of the Student Portion and $550,800 of the Institutional Portion.
- An estimated 1,996 students were eligible to participate in programs under Section 484 in Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 and thus eligible to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- As of June 30, 2021, 786 students received an Emergency Financial Aid Grant to students under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act.
- The University identified students who incurred additional costs due to early departure from University housing. The amount of the Emergency Financial Aid Grant under Section 18004(a)(1) of the CARES Act was based on the date of their early departure.
HEERF II: CRRSAA
The Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act (CRRSAA) was enacted on December 27, 2020. Willamette University received $754,617 to be distributed directly to students.
As of December 31, 2021, $756,140 in emergency grants have been awarded to 244 students; $754,617 was awarded to 246 from the Student Portion of the grant and $1,523 was awarded to one student from the Institutional Portion. 1,792 students were eligible for these grants.
HEERF III: ARPA
The American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) was enacted on March 11, 2021 and included a third round of HEERF funding to institutions of higher education. Willamette University received $1,891,285 to be distributed directly to students. 1,882 students are eligible for these grants.
As of June 30, 2022, $1,858,775 has been distributed between 434 students (all from the Student Portion).
Summary of Funds Awarded Directly to Students
This table summarizes the total funds disbursed to students through June 30, 2022 (note: PNCA is reported separately. Click here for more information).
|Student Relief||Institution Relief||Total Awarded to Students|
|HEERF I: CARES Act||754,617||99,712||854,329|
|HEERF II: CRRSAA||754,617||1,523||756,140|
|HEERF III: ARPA||1,858,775||0||1,858,775|
Applications for Student Aid
As of 6/30/2022, HEERF I & II funds have been fully spent and are no longer available. Click here to learn about and apply for HEERF III ARPA grants.
Instructions, directions, guidance and the application provided to students for the University’s ongoing Emergency Fund grant program can be found here.
Institutional Aid Quarterly Reports
|Quarterly Expenditure Report||Student Expenditures||Institutional Expenditures||SIP Expenditures||Total Expenditures Reported|
|Quarter Ending 09/30/2020||$728,861||$658,617||$0||$1,387,478|
|Quarter Ending 12/31/2020||2,100||82,422||76,307||160,829|
|Quarter Ending 03/31/2021||725,508||385,787||0||1,111,295|
|Quarter Ending 06/30/2021||37,119||989,705||93,625||1,120,449|
|Quarter Ending 09/30/2021||132,393||524||4,582||137,499|
|Quarter Ending 12/31/2021||583,318||855,356||524||1,439,198|
|Quarter Ending 03/31/2022||1,008,964||859,934||169,665||2,038,563|
|Quarter Ending 06/30/2022||149,746||(1,550)||0||148,196|