- What web browser should I use?
- Why am I having trouble with WISE on my Mac?
- How do I set up a WISE site for a committee, club, etc.?
- Does WISE have a User Guide?
- How do I get training in using WISE?
- Why can't anyone see a tab for my site?
- Can I add participants to my site?
- Can I see what my students see?
- Can I get rid of sites on my tab bar?
- How much data can I upload to WISE
- How do I delete a WISE site?
1. What web browser should I use?
WISE requires one of these browsers:
- Firefox (Windows, Mac, Linux) - free download here
- Chrome (Windows, Mac) - free download here
- Safari (Mac) - free download here
Ancient browsers (Netscape, Internet Explorer) will not work with WISE.
Safari can cause problems trying to upload files to the Resources and Drop Boxes tools.
2. Why am I having trouble with WISE on my Mac?
Older versions of Safari and WISE have known compatibility issues. If you are using an older Mac, WITS recommends using Mozilla Firefox or Chrome.
3. How do I set up a WISE site for a committee, club, etc.?
WISE is designed to be used for more than classes. To request a WISE project site for a club, committee or collaborative project, send an email to email@example.com. Include the name you would like to use for your site.
4. Does WISE have a User Guide?
WISE is based on the Sakai LMS platform and their online user guide answers most of the "How do I..." questions regarding Tools and their usage. This includes setting up a course Gradebook, using the Assignments tool, creating Tests and Quizzes, and usage of all standard and optional tools you'll come across. External tools like Panopto and Zoom have their own support pages.
5. How do I get training in using WISE?
Faculty and Staff can contact their User Services Consultant directly or email firstname.lastname@example.org for one-on-one or group training as needed.
6. Why can't anyone see a tab for my site?
There are several reasons for "missing" site tabs:
1. All WISE sites are created in Draft mode and are only visible to people who are site managers (Instructor role in course sites, Maintain role in project sites) until they have been published. Unpublished sites have a warning graphic over the Tools list at the top of the window:
To publish, click "Publish Now"
2. A student has just added your class. WISE course site enrollment is updated every day at 5:00 AM so it may take a day for students' enrollment status to be reflected in WISE rosters.
3. Your site may be in the SITES dropdown list if a person is a member of many active WISE sites. They can add it to their Favorites list to have it display in their tab list.
7. Can I add participants to my site?
Due to FERPA regulations, only students actively enrolled in a course can be added to your site. This is done automatically thorough a 5 AM sync with the Registrar's Office. In some cases a student may need access to a site before this occurs. If so, you may do the following:
- select the Site Info tool from the Course Tools list
- select the Add Participants link from the Site Info menu across the top of the page
- to add a participant, enter their user name (the part before '@willamette.edu' in their email address) in the Official participants text box
- click the Continue button
- select a role for the new participant(s) - to add a student to an official course site, use the TempStudent role so that the participant is not dropped by the automatic update process.
- click the Finish button to confirm your actions
8. Can I see what my students see?
People with the site maintainer role (Instructor, maintain) can enter "Student View" (or "Access View" in project sites) by clicking the Enter Student View link at the right end of the site tabs bar. This will temporarily remove your management permissions. To return to your normal role, click the link, which will now read Exit Student View.
9. Can I get rid of sites on my tab bar?
You can remove old or unwanted tabs from your My Workspace site.
- Click the Sites button at the upper-right corner of your window
- Click the Star next to the sites you want to display in your tab bar along the top of your WISE page
- You can still access anything without a star, you'll just need to do it via the Sites button
- You can choose the order in which these Site tabs appear by clicking the Organize Favorites tab, then click-and-drag (at the right-edge of each item) to set the order.
10. How much data can I upload to WISE
The disk quota for each WISE site is 1 Gb. You can request additional disk space by emailing email@example.com. Please include the site ID for your site (such as IDS 101 01 12/FA).
The upload limit for individual files (or a group of files created using the "Add additional file" option during the upload process) is 50 Mb. However, you can upload larger files using the "Upload/Download Multiple Resources" method, which requires a file transfer client application (such as Filezilla or Cyberduck) and a protocol called WebDAV. Additional information is available from the WITS Help Desk, your User Services Consultant (faculty and staff) or on the WISE/WebDav help page.
11. How do I delete a WISE site?
It is best to simply unpublish a WISE site when it is no longer needed as this preserves the data stored within the site for future reference.
You may be able "unjoin" some sites. Go to your Home tab and select the Membership tool on the left side column. Any site with a check box to the left of the site name can be unjoined. Check the box(es) for the sites you want to leave and then click the Unjoin button at the bottom of the page.
You can also ask the site owner to remove you from the site. Do note, however, enrollment in official course sites is managed automatically and any officially enrolled student will be added back to a site at the next update.