The Clery Act requires institutions that maintain on-campus housing facilities to establish a missing student notification policy and related procedures (20 USC 1092 (j) Section 488 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008). The missing residential student notification policy applies when a student lives in on-campus housing, is reported missing, or there is a concern that they have not been seen in their residence room for over 24 hours. This could be reported from a variety of sources. When reported, the Office of Campus Safety will begin an investigation.

Who to contact

Students are advised that their first contact related to a person missing beyond 24 hours should be with a staff member from Residence Life and HousingStudent Affairs, or the Office of Campus Safety.


Residence Life and Housing staff members (RA's and Area Coordinators) are required to report the missing student up their supervisory line to the Director of Residence Life and Housing, who has responsibility for gathering this information and then informing the Vice President of Student Affairs, and the Director of Campus Safety.


Following this reporting would be an investigation that includes a delegation of phone calls to all known phone numbers for the individual, attempts at personal contact, phone calls to friends, a check of their card access, a check of their food service access records, a physical check for their vehicle on campus, a check of their classroom participation and activity participation.

Confidential Contact Person

All students who live on campus have the option of providing the University with a confidential contact person. This is the person they choose to be notified if the student is determined to be missing. Only authorized Campus Safety officials and law enforcement officers, in the furtherance of a missing person investigation, may have access to using this information. The Vice President of Student Affairs may choose to notify or contact others, in order to make the greatest impact on finding the missing student.

How to Update Your Confidential Contact

To add or modify your Missing Residential Student contact number:

  1. Access the Student Portal of the WU website
  2. Choose "Student Resources" and "Update Emergency Contact Information." or directly at
  3. Click on "+ Add New Contact"
  4. Add the name, relationship and phone number of the person you want to be contacted in the event that you are missing for more than 24 hours.
  5. Check the box at the bottom of the screen that says, "Missing Person Contact." (This person can be the same or different person from your Emergency Contact.)
  6. Click on "Add Contact"
  7. Finally, click on the "Confirm" button when you are returned to the previous page.

This information is only available to Campus Safety staff and law enforcement personnel and is only accessed in the event that you go missing for over 24 hours. This information is not available to any other person, for any other reason.

Notifying Law Enforcement

When the university has been informed that a student has been missing for over 24 hours, and when none of these attempts to contact the student and verify their whereabouts is successful, within the 24 hours that follow becoming notified, then the Office of Campus Safety will contact the Salem Police Department. The report will include status of the investigation, including all prior attempts to contact the student, and will be passed along to them.

Willamette University

Residence Life and Housing

Matthews Academic Commons
900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 U.S.A.
Phone: 503-370-6212
Fax: 503-370-6709
Hours: M-F, 8 AM - 5 PM (PST)

Back to Top