Student Accounts Refund Policy


To provide guidelines for the processing of student accounts refunds, including adjustments related to student withdrawals, calculation of refunds and return of Title IV financial aid, and overpayment refunds.


Adjustments Related to Student Withdrawals:

Students are admitted to Willamette University with the understanding that they will remain until the end of the semester unless unforeseen circumstances necessitate their withdrawal. Students who are suspended or expelled from the University forfeit all refunds of tuition and fees.

In compliance with the Higher Education Amendments of 1998 (Section 668.22), Willamette University's policy for adjusting tuition and fees due to a withdrawal is as follows:

  1. Students who wish to withdraw from courses after the 10th day of class (the Add/Drop Period) must notify the Registrar’s Office. For additional information on the academic withdrawal policy, please review the Academic Policies and Procedures: Leave of Absence or Withdrawal policy.
  2. Students withdrawing for medical reasons may petition for a medical withdrawal. The Application for Medical Withdrawal may be obtained from the Registrar's Office.
  3. The date utilized for refunds will be the date of withdrawal determined and communicated to the Student Accounts office by the Registrar.
  4. Tuition adjustments for full withdrawals will be prorated, per day, based on the academic calendar up to the 60% point in the semester. In the case of an approved full medical withdrawal, the tuition refund is the same as a student who withdraws from the University. After the 60% point in the semester, no refunds are granted for withdrawals.
  5. If a student drops below full-time (3.0 credits) but remains enrolled after the Add/Drop Period, they will not have their tuition charge adjusted but will be billed as a full-time student for the semester.
  6. If a student with an approved medical withdrawal drops below full-time (3.0 credits) but remains enrolled after the Add/Drop Period, the tuition adjustment will be prorated, per day, based on the academic calendar up to the 60% point in the semester. After the 60% point in the semester, no tuition adjustments are granted for partial medical withdrawals.
  7. Withdrawing students are responsible for applicable room and meal plan charges through the date they checked out of their campus housing with Housing & Community Life. Please review the Housing & Community Life Handbook for additional information on canceling a housing contract or apartment lease and prorated housing and meal plan charges.
  8. Health insurance charges and student body fees will not be refunded to withdrawing students.
  9. In the case of a student's death during a term, a full tuition refund will be granted to the student's estate.

Student Accounts Refunds:

Students who withdraw and have received financial aid will receive their refund after the required portion of their financial aid is returned to the aiding programs in accordance with federal guidelines. The required portion of financial aid that is returned to the aiding programs is calculated as follows:

  • Title IV aid and all other aid is earned in a prorated manner on a per day basis based on the academic calendar up to the 60% point in the semester.
  • Recalculation of financial aid is based on the percent of earned aid using the following federal formula: Percent Earned = Number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by total days in the semester
  • Federal financial aid is returned to the federal government based on the percent of unearned aid using the following formula: Aid to be returned = (Percent Earned × the amount aid that was eligible to be disbursed) – aid that was actually disbursed.

When financial aid is returned, the student may owe a balance to the University. The student should contact the Student Accounts Office to make arrangements to pay the balance.

Refunds will be issued for credit balances resulting from Title IV funds in accordance with financial aid guidelines. Other credit balances in excess of $100 will be automatically refunded to the student. Students whose accounts reflect an overpayment from sources other than Title IV may request the credit balance be held and applied to the next semester.

Questions regarding this policy should be directed to the Student Accounts Office located on the first floor of Waller Hall.