Today, Willamette celebrates World Mental Health Day. Recognized every Oct. 10 by the World Health Organization, this year's theme "mental health is a universal human right." Key messages in this year's campaign include:
- Good mental health is an integral part of our overall health and wellbeing.
- Everyone has the right to access quality mental health care.
- Mental health conditions are a significant threat to the wellbeing of young people.
- We must challenge the stigma and discrimination surrounding mental health.
- We all have the right to live independently and be included in the community.
- Good quality community mental health services and supports are crucial for all our futures.
- Recognizing mental health as a universal human right empowers people to stand up for their rights — and for those around them
As a part of Willamette's efforts to support mental health, we officially became a JED Campus in 2021. JED Campus is a signature program of The Jed Foundation (JED) designed to guide schools through a collaborative process of comprehensive systems, program and policy development with customized support to build upon existing student mental health, substance use and suicide prevention efforts. Please see the link below for more information about Willamette's program and progress made to date. Willamette also offers a range of mental health options to students including appointments with a counselor through Counseling Services, telehealth counseling through Uwill, spiritual support and guidance from our University Chaplain, and 24/7 telephone crisis support though WUTalk, serviced by ProtoCall.
We encourage everyone to do what you can to support mental health; for yourself, your friends and loved ones, and for our greater communities. One way to get involved on campus is by enrolling in one of our many 90 minute long QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) training sessions. They are open to all community members, and are offered several times throughout the year. Please see the link below for more information.
Wishing everyone peace and health on this World Mental Health Day.