Returning students select their rooms/apartments in March for the upcoming academic year. Newly admitted and deposited students will receive residence hall and dining plan selection information from the Housing office in late May. Housing assignments and roommate information is posted on the WU Housing portal for new students in early August.

First year students live on Eastside (Baxter, Belknap, Cascadia, Matthews, Northwood, Southwood, Westwood, Terra). Roommates are matched by interests and are randomly assigned to a room/hall in Eastside. It is not uncommon to have more than one roommate. Triple rooms are common on campus.

Once an assignment has been made, it is considered permanent. However, should a problem arise, staff-approved changes may be considered. A waiting period of two weeks after the semester begins allows for us to confirm any no-shows and for you to evaluate your living situation and consider more than just first impressions.

Students requesting special accommodations due to a health-related matter must submit acceptable documentation to Accessible Education Services prior to the assignment deadline to be certified. This includes the need for an emotional support animal. The housing office will make an assignment based on the recommendation made by Accessible Education Services, the availability of space, the individual’s needs and the University’s ability to reasonably accommodate the student.

Residency Requirement

First year students attending PNCA, Willamette University’s Portland campus, are required to live in university housing. First and second year students attending Willamette University’s Salem campus are required to live in university housing. The university grants exceptions to the live-on requirement when appropriate. Exceptions are granted for the following circumstances:

  • Students who are married, in a civil union, or domestic partnership (must provide documentation);
  • Students over the age of 21;
  • Students who are veterans of the military;
  • Students have dependent family under their care;
  • Students who are living with parent(s)/legal guardian(s) within a commutable distance of 25 miles or less. Students with four semesters/2 years in residence at the end of spring semester are eligible to live off campus.
  • Students with a disability or medical condition that prevents them from living in on-campus housing must provide documentation and gain approval from the Accessible Education Services Office;
  • Students participating in a study abroad program;

Students who do not meet this criteria and want to live off campus, must apply for a waiver of the Residency Requirement. Applications are available from the Housing office. Applications are presented to the Residency Requirement Waiver Committee.  Typically exceptions are only granted in extreme circumstances. The committee meets in December and May to review waiver applications for the upcoming semester. Applications received after July 15th will not be considered for Fall semester. Applications received after December 15th will not be considered for Spring semester.

Willamette University

Residence Life and Housing

Matthews Academic Commons
900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 U.S.A.
Phone: 503-370-6212
Fax: 503-370-6709
Hours: M-F, 8 AM - 5 PM (PST)

Back to Top