Code of Student Conduct
Willamette University aspires to be a learning community that promotes independent thought and intellectual curiosity, respect for differences and for the rights of others, and a commitment to the development of ethically sensitive and responsible individuals. Within our learning community, we value:
- The dignity and worth of all individuals;
- A commitment to diversity, service, leadership, and sustainability in communities and professions;
- The ethical and spiritual dimensions of education; and
- Education as a lifelong process of discovery and personal growth.
This Code of Student Conduct (Code) handbook is intended to ensure students, as members of our community, and their organizations, conduct themselves in a manner that helps enhance an environment of learning in which the rights, dignity, worth, and freedom of each member of the Willamette University community is respected. The Code is administered without regard to age, disability, religion, race, color, cultural background, national origin, immigration status, political creed, marital or familial status, veteran or military status, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
The Code is Willamette University’s set of community standards and prohibited behaviors to promote student learning and accountability. This Code thus creates a set of expectations of student conduct, ensures a fair process for determining responsibility when student behavior may have deviated from those expectations and provides appropriate sanctions when a student or student organization has violated the Code. Every effort will be made to balance the needs and rights of the individual with the welfare of the community as a whole.
The policies and information in this handbook are subject to amendment due to any change in state law, federal law, or University policy.
- Statement of Equal Opportunity Compliance
- Statement of Title IX Compliance
- Willamette University – Guiding Principles
- Willamette University Mission Statement
- Willamette University Motto
- Message from the Vice President of Student Affairs
- Non-discrimination Policy
- Code of Student Conduct
- Application of Law
- Student Rights & Responsibilities
- Code of Student Conduct
- Enforcement and Resolution Procedures
- Appeal Procedures
- Restricted Contact Orders
- Behavioral Concern
- Health Concern
- Immediate Restriction of a Student’s Access to Campus
- Immediate Suspension of a Student Organization
- Publication and Notification of the Standards of Conduct
- Hazing – Policy and Protocol