Skip to main content

Do you have questions about your benefits? Have you experienced a life event change? Do you need to talk about something personal? We are here to help.

  • How do I get a copy of my (Healthcare/Dental) ID card?

    Added Choice, Kaiser Medical, or Kaiser Dental card

    • Option 1: Contact Customer Service at 800-813-2000.
    • Option 2: Log on to
      • If this is your first visit to the website, click on Create a New User Account.
      • Once logged in, you may request additional ID cards.

    LifeMap Dental ID card

    • Option 1: Contact Customer Service at 800-286-1129.
    • Option 2: Log on to
      • If this is your first visit to the website, click on Register Now.
      • Once logged in, select order ID Card from the menu on the left side of the screen.

    If you are a new employee, you should receive ID cards within 7 - 10 business days after you completed your online enrollment to your home address.

  • Who is eligible for benefits and when are they effective?


    • Full-time, benefits-eligible:
      At least 30 hours per week or 75% of a full-time schedule
    • Part-time, benefits-eligible:
      Scheduled Hours: At least 24 hours per week or 60% of a full-time schedule
    • Not benefits-eligible:
      Scheduled Hours: Less than 23 hours per week or 57.5% of a full-time schedule

    Effective Date

    Benefits for employees hired into a benefits-eligible position become effective:

    • For those hired on the first day of the month, the benefit effective date is their date of hire.
    • For those hired on the second day of the month or later, the benefit effective date is the first of the month following their date of hire.
  • What happens if my dependents or I become eligible for Medicare?

    Employees and/or dependents who will be turning age 65 or are disabled may choose to stay on the Willamette sponsored medical plan or may buy an individual Medicare plan. If you and/or your dependents are eligible for Medicare, yet choose to stay in a University plan, Medicare will pay benefits after the University's plan has paid. To help you decide, please contact the Social Security office to discuss Medicare options and premiums.

  • Why is the Group Term Life Insurance (GTLI) taxable?

    The GTLI benefit is 2 times your annual salary. If the value of that coverage is greater than $50,000, employees are required to pay tax on the value of coverage above $50,000.

  • Can my partner enroll on my benefit plans?

    Willamette University is committed to living our motto, “Not Unto Ourselves Alone Are We Born,” and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all qualified persons without discrimination. To further this principle, and to support the lesbian/bisexual/gay members and non-married heterosexual couples of the community, the University recognizes domestic partners. Domestic partners are eligible to apply for group benefits available to benefit eligible faculty and staff.

  • How can I update my benefits if I have a life event change.

    Certain events in your life may require that you make changes to your medical, dental, and/or vision coverage, Flexible Spending Account(s), life insurance, and/or retirement programs. With the exception of retirement programs*, there are only two times when you are able to make changes to your benefits:

    • During the annual Open Enrollment period
    • Within 30 days of a qualifying event.

    These events may result in a premium change for you and your family. Qualifying events that occur prior to the 15th of the month will result in premium changes retroactive to the first of that month. If the qualifying event occurs on or after the 15th of the month, the premium change will be effective the first of the month following the change.

    How to change your benefits enrollments

    Benefits enrollment changes may be made online through Workday, more details here.


    Important: Your online change request and required documentation must be submitted within 30 days from the date of the qualifying event.

    *Changes can be made to your retirement plan anytime throughout the year.

    View Qualifying Life Events

Willamette University

Human Resources

University Services Building
Willamette University
900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 U.S.A.
503-370-6210 voice
503-370-6570 fax