Interested in using university resources while working from off campus? Use GlobalProtect VPN! Available to faculty, staff, and students, this Virtual Private Network client will allow you to access network drives and systems normally accessible only while on campus. This includes your netfiles (H Drive) folder and any departmental shared folders to which you have access as well. It's just like being on campus...only you're in pajamas, your hair is unsightly, and there probably aren't as many ducks as there are at the Salem Campus.
NOTE: VPN and Duo two-factor authentication
Faculty, staff, and students with special access due to workstudy positions, are enrolled in Duo two-factor authentication. Signing into VPN will require an additional step which varies depending on the method you use:
- If Duo is set to send push-notifications to your smartphone, be ready to receive a message on your device when signing into Global Protect VPN. You will NOT be prompted that this push is taking place.
- If using a 6-digit number from a key-fob device or your smartphone app, enter a comma and the code after your password in the password entry box. Example: password,123456
- If Duo is set to call a phone number, enter a comma and the word 'phone' after the password. Example: password,phone and be ready to answer the call.
Basic Security Standards
If you are using a Willamette University provided computer, you're good to go.
If you are using your personally owned computer:
- It must have a vendor-supported operating system
- Old operating systems (like Win 7, XP, ME, 98, 3.1, MacOS 10.12 and older, DOS, Atari Basic, Commodore 64, Player Piano, Antikythera mechanism) are considered security risks and are not allowed on our network
- Please be sure your OS has the latest security updates
- Your firewall must be enabled
- You need antivirus software installed with current updates
- WITS Recommends Sohpos Home Antivirus, the free version of the antivirus software we run on campus systems
Setting up the Client
To get started, simply select and follow the instructions that correspond to the Operating System of your device:
GlobalProtect Setup for MacOS (Macintosh Laptops and Desktops)
GlobalProtect Setup for iOS (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch)