WU Sponsored Study Abroad
Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021
Wed December 4, 2019
Step 1: Attend FIRST STEP
This is an information session about WU Sponsored Study Abroad. Check the Upcoming Events for dates. We require this session. You are eligible for a study abroad advising appointment after attending.
UPDATE: There are currently no more First Step sessions. You can still apply.
- Download this document to review how to proceed.
- Visit OIE for information on advising - WE STILL WANT TO MEET WITH YOU!
- Look for drop-in help and other opportunities on Upcoming Events to help you through the process.
Step 2: Explore
Research Selection Criteria, how to apply, available programs, deadlines and the included IDS 102X Maximizing the Study Abroad Experience (.25) course. Review the elements needed to complete your application here.
Step 3: Meet with advisors- we have things to talk about!
OIE study abroad advising: Come to our office in person to book an appointment after you have attended First Step. We'll answer questions you have, discuss program details, review eligibility and policies,and we will ask you questions to assist you in submitting a strong application. OIE Advising is considered a required step.
Academic Advisor: Meet with your academic advisor (required) to discuss what kind of courses you may need or want to take abroad. Talk about how studying abroad will fit into your overall degree plan. Foreign language program? Meet with the WU language department to discuss how the courses would come back to WU.
Step 4: Start an application
Click on Apply Now! Sign in with your WU credentials. Choose a program to open an application. This step is how you get WU's approval to participate in study abroad with WU's sponsorship. Your application will be for a specific program but you will also list what your alternative programs are in that application too.
How many applications?
- Interested in 1 semester: You will have 1 application by the deadline.
- If you want summer and a semester, you will have 2 separate applications.
- 2 semesters? Consult with OIE for advice.
Step 5: Consider how you will pay for study abroad
Willamette financial aid: For all Willamette-sponsored programs, you are billed regular WU tuition and use your usual financial aid. How will your financial aid work or how can you add aid? Contact a WU financial aid advisor.
Study abroad scholarships: Research scholarships EARLY (even as you apply to study abroad!) to avoid missing deadlines.
- Some scholarship deadlines will come before you receive the official approval of your study abroad application. Don't wait!
- Check eligibility requirements of each scholarship. Contact the scholarship program to find out if you can apply before you have final approval from Willamette.
- Start as early as you can!
Step 6: What happens next?
- December to mid-January: Ask OIE any questions during Winter Break if you are unsure about any aspect of your commitment to study abroad. The Committee needs an accurate assessment of your intentions. Consider credit needs, financial implications, program "fit", and anything that has changed since you submitted your application.
- Get a Passport or Renew your passport as soon as you can! You will need your passport to register with your program well before you arrive. Your passport must be valid for 6 months beyond the end date of your program.
If you are approved/accepted by the Off-Campus Study Committee for WU sponsored study abroad:
- A program and term are assigned to you in the decision notification (usually late February).
- You will Commit or Decline the offer. You will have about 10 days to do so and to pay the required deposit. Be ready to move forward in the process if you want to commit.
- About four months before the program's start, you will complete a separate process to register for your assigned program.
Materials in the application describe withdraw and refund policies which you agree to as you apply.
Check the OIE website, attend First Step, use your OIE advising session. Still have questions? firstname.lastname@example.org. Our office remains open year round. We are closed for one week when the University closes for the week around Christmas and New Year's.