Students whose accounts reflect an overpayment may request a refund through the Student Accounts Office.
Refunds will be issued for credit balances resulting from Title IV funds in accordance with financial aid guidelines. Other credit balances in excess of $100 will be automatically refunded to the student. Students whose accounts reflect an overpayment from sources other than Title IV may request the credit balance be held and applied to the next semester.
Please review the Student Accounts Refund Policy for additional information on refunds, including adjustments related to student withdrawals.
Setting up Direct Deposit for Refunds
Students may enroll in direct deposit for both student account refunds and expense reimbursements by doing the following:
- Have your bank routing number and account number readily available. You can find this information on the bottom of your checks.
- Enrolling students only: Create a network account to provide you with a Willamette email address.
- Log in to the WU Portal, click on Colleague Self Service, then click on Banking Information. Once in, follow instructions to get set up.
The following types of refunds may only be made by paper check:
- International student refunds: due to International ACH Transactions rules, Willamette University is prohibited from making direct deposit disbursements to accounts outside of the United States.
- Parent Plus Loan recipients: Credit balances caused by Parent Plus loans must be refunded by paper check due to federal rules.
Student Account Refund Schedule
Student Account refunds will be processed according to the following schedule:
- Direct deposit refunds are processed on Tuesday and Friday of each week.
- Paper checks refunds are processed on Wednesday of each week.
- At the beginning of each semester, all student account refunds are processed 3-4 days prior to the first day of class in addition to the schedule above.
Please note that a credit balance must appear on a student's account 2-3 business days prior to a processing date in order to be included in that batch.